Edinburgh

Loch Ken Viaduct

Situated between Parton and New Galloway, Loch Ken Viaduct was constructed on a curve and consisted of seven sections: three bowstring girder spans of 130ft, two semi-circular masonry arches of 20ft. span, and two flat cast-iron girder sections at each end. The deep water piers were formed of two towers 8ft. in diameter and 8ft. apart.


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44735 leaves Loch Ken Viaduct with a Dumfries-bound train, circa 1960. [J. Sedgewick/ARPT Collection]
Edinburgh

Loch Skerrow Halt

Opened to railwaymen: 1865.
Opened to passengers: 13th June, 1955.
Closed: 9th September, 1963.

Loch Skerrow Halt, a remote passing loop and watering point for locomotives amid wild and desolate moorland and overlooked by mountains, was situated between New Galloway and Gatehouse of Fleet. It was a lonely place for railway staff who worked there, accessible only by the railway. Accommodation for staff was provided adjacent to the halt on the east side of the line. The facilities were built in 1865 after the Caledonian Railway gained running powers over the Portpatrick Railway by an Act of July 1864. However, the halt did not become a public station until 13th June, 1955. It was closed on 9th September, 1963.


An eastward view towards Dumfries at Loch Skerrow Halt. The tanks for watering locomotives were situated on the Loch Skerrow side of the line. [J. Sedgewick/ARPT Collection]
Edinburgh

Glenluce Viaduct

Glenluce Viaduct spanned the Water of Luce and a main road, and consisted of eight brick arches of 42ft. span.


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45158 'Glasgow Yeomanry' passes over Glenluce Viaduct with an 8-car wood-workers' excursion on 28th May, 1964. [Derek Cross]
Edinburgh

Stranraer Town

Closed to passengers: 7th March, 1966.
Closed to goods: 1993.


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45169 stands in the bay platform at Stranraer Town Station with a train for Dumfries on 18th August, 1962. [K. Fairey/Colour-Rail.com]
Edinburgh

Stranraer Harbour


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44723 stands at Stranraer Harbour Station with the 1.40pm train for Dumfries at a busy moment on 14th June, 1963. At the adjacent platform is a BR Swindon inter-city (Class 126) DMU forming a train for Glasgow, with carriages and goods vans occupying the other sidings and platform road. On the left, awaiting its next sailing to Larne, is the 3,630 ton TSS Caledonia Princess, a roll-on/roll-off car ferry with a capacity of 103 cars and 1,400 passengers which was completed by William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton for the British Transport Commission in November 1961. [W.S. Sellar]

Collapse )
Edinburgh

Newton Stewart


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T No. 80119 arrives at Newton Stewart Station with a train from Stranraer to Dumfries on 29th May, 1964, as ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45155 stands in the loops with a westbound goods train. No. 80119 had been a North Eastern Region locomotive but was transferred to Dumfries Shed in November 1963; it worked from there until its withdrawal on 29th May, 1965. No. 45155 was allocated to Dalry Road Shed, Edinburgh. [Derek Cross]

Collapse )
Edinburgh

Gatehouse of Fleet

Opened as Dromore: September 1861.
Renamed Gatehouse: 1st July, 1863.
Renamed Dromore for Gatehouse: 1st June, 1865.
Renamed Gatehouse: 1st September, 1866.
Renamed Dromore: 1st June, 1871.
Renamed Gatehouse of Fleet: 1st January, 1912.
Closed: 5th December, 1949.
Reopened: 20th May, 1950.
Closed: 14th June, 1965.


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44996 heads a train from Dumfries to Stranraer consisting of two ex-LMSR corridor carriages and two 12-ton goods vans during May 1964. The train is passing the Clints of Dromore in wild and remote country near Gatehouse of Fleet. [Derek Cross]